Understanding the potentials of mangosteen
The Philippines has the potential to become a top producer of exotic fruits like mangosteen if only it can break through the Asean Economic Community (AEC) market and understand what makes fellow Asian neighbors Thailand and Malaysia so successful in the field.
Dr. Pablito Pamplona, a retired fruit expert from the University of Southern Mindanao, is currently looking at developing a paper that would equip the country with the knowledge to infiltrate the market and become competitive in the exotic fruits industy.
The study seeks to understand what seasons the peak of productions occurs in the countries that produce exotic fruits to follow their lead and maximize the use of natural resources in the country to come out with the best products at the right time to meet the demands of the international market.
Currently, mangosteen can be grown not only in Mindanao but with the right technique, it could also be produced in Visayas and Luzon.
But why mangosteen?
The potentials for this exotic fruit is boundless as recent studies have proven that it is not only a sought after for its delicious taste, but also because of its natural health benefits.
Vitamins found in Mangosteen
- Vitamin C,
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin A
- Pantothenic acid
- Folic acid
- Mangosteen has anti cancer properties as it contains xanthones that inhibit cell growth in human colon cancer based on research.
- Mangosteen as been used as an anti-inflammatory, as well as anti allergy agent proven by studies.
- Mangosteen is an anti oxidant that helps reduce the risk of stroke and myocardial infarction.
- Because of the mangosteen’s anti inflammatory, anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti allergy and antioxidant properties, it is also known as effective tool in maintaining healthy skin.
- Mangosteen pericarp and peel are used to relieve stomach pain and dysentery.
- Mangosteen helps boost the immune system.
- The leaves and bark of the tree can be used to treat wounds. The leaves can also be boiled to become a medicinal drink.
- The Mangosteen root also helps regulate menstrual cycle among women.
- Mangosteen is an effective tool against diabetes.
- Mangosteen aids in weight loss.
Aside from mangosteen, Dr. Pamplona is also looking to boost the production and marketability of exotic fruits like durian, Longkong lanzones and pummelo. (By: Angel Ong)