Shortcut to establishing a Home Edible Garden Greenhouse
Agriculture advocate and owner of Harbest Agribusiness Corp.
Arsenio “Toto” Barcelona believes in empowering the Filipino farmer and proved that the potentials of the Pinoy agriculturist should be cultivated when he started the Kabalikat sa Kabuhayan (KSK) program with the SM Foundation.
With the successful program under way benefitting batch by batch of farmers throughout the country, Barcelona continues to share his farming know-how with his followers on social media, particularly on Facebook.
In a recent post, he shared the technique in putting up one’s own Home Edible Garden Greenhouse which takes only an hour to install.
For a 1m x 6m x 1m high structure, one would need:
8 pcs. Spring-type tunneling bar. 6mm x 11 feet with two adjustable hooks.
7 meters mulching film. 1.2m x 7m.
12 meters PE tunneling film. UV-treated. 2.7m x 10m.
Rope to tie the steel bars and put in place the plastic cover.
1. Prepare raised bed 8 to 10″ high x 1m wide x 6 meters long. Make sure it’s not flood prone.
2. Cover the plot with mulching film. Silver side up. Apply basal fertilizer if for planting.
3. Install spring bar as in picture, 1 meter apart. The bars should be imbedded one foot deep on each side with a slight slant to hold it firmly to the ground.
Two ends with extra slanting bar to stabilize the plastic cover.
Tie the bars with plastic string or nylon in 5 parts. One at the top, two on both sides, equidistant.
Tie well to keep the steel bars steady and tie all strings to the two pegs at both ends.
Please refer to pictures.
4. Cover the bar structure with the PE film.
Tie plastic on both ends to a steel bar or wooden peg strong enough to hold the structure in place.
5. Tie a plastic fine twine on the hook provided in X shape as in picture to hold the plastic film firmly but not too tight.
6. You can raise the plastic film on the side upwards for ventilation during hot days. Remember to pull it down before the rain or during night time.
Total cost of materials = P2,200.
Barcelona said that this can be adjusted depending on the need of the farmer, with installation only taking up a bit of time. Most of the supplies are already available at Harbest. (By: Angel Ong)