A healthier twist to Pinoy fave champorado
Celebrity chef and restaurateur Erwan Heussaff features a healthier alternative to the usual recipe of Pinoy favorite, champorado in his blog, The Fat Kid Inside.
Instead of using rice grain, the featured recipe by Stef Sanciano uses Quinoa, a nutrient-rich, organic type of red grain. Quinoa offers a light nutty crunch, mild flavor, and remarkable protein content. It is also gluten-free and has nine complete essential amino acids, which makes it a healthier alternative to rice or pasta.
“No-Guilt Champorado” uses the following key ingredients:
1. Half cup of any quinoa variant
2. Half cup of coconut milk
3. Half cup of milk, any variant
4. One tablespoon cocoa powder
5. 30 grams of chopped dark chocolate
6. 2 tablespoons of any type of sweetener
Other optional ingredients include toasted coconut, Chia seeds and fresh fruits.
· Thoroughly rinse the quinoa grain, then drain.
· In a pot, put the rinsed quinoa and add coconut milk and preferred milk variant
· Upon boiling and reducing heat, thoroughly simmer and occasionally stir for 15 minutes.
· Once quinoa is tender, add sweetener, dark chocolate and cocoa powder, then stir.
· As needed, add a bit more of the milk for thinner texture.
· Add optional ingredients on top.
Apart from health benefits, this recipe is also very easy to prepare –perfect for health buffs on-the-go.