Monday 18 December
Powered by Ajaxy
Jul 22, 2016 @ 10:39

2 kids die as red tide spreads in Eastern Visayas

Two children have died as the red tide spread in major mussel-growing areas in Eastern Visayas.

The Philippine News Agency reported that an 11-year-old girl died from paralytic shellfish poisoning on July 17 after her family, which is based in Catbalogan City, ate a pen shell contaminated with red tide toxins.

A five-year-old boy also died of dehydration at the Samar Provincial Hospital on July 20 after his family ate mussels bought from a village market, also in Catbalogan City.

The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) said red tide toxins in Irong Irong Bay in Tarangnan, Samar and Cambatutay Bay in Catbalogan City have spread to nearby the nearby mussel-rich Maqueda Bay, Villareal Bay and Carigara Bay.



 

Trending News

Recommended on sister sites

Copyright © 2017 Food Evolution - foodevolution.com.ph. TechCellar.com