A Chocnutty ice cream flavor
Chocnut is a Filipino chocolate peanut treat that every Filipino child is familiar with. Its so popular that it has been integrated into so many desserts by chefs and homecooks alike.
Food blogger Raymund over at angsarap.net shares his recipe for Chocnut Ice Cream, two desserts that will definitely be irresistible to Pinoys all around the world.
What you will need are pretty basic: 2½ cups cream, 1½ cup milk, 1¼ cups sugar, 18 pcs Chocnut, ¼ cup finely ground roasted peanuts, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 4 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
• In a sauce pan combine cream, milk, 10 pcs of chocnut, ground peanuts, cocoa powder and sugar. Heat slowly while continuously mixing until it reaches nearly boiling point (do not boil) and sugar is completely dissolved
• Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl then slowly pour around a cup of the heated cream mixture while whisking.
• Pour egg mixture to the sauce pan then continue to heat while continuously mixing. Dip a tablespoon and see if liquid sticks to the back side, if it does then you can now turn the heat off.
• Place remaining 8 Chocnut pieces in the freezer and let it freeze for at least four hours.
• Place in a heat proof container and let it cool down, once cooled down place in the fridge for at least four hours.
• Prepare your ice cream maker, pour the cream mixture then churn according to ice cream manufacturer’s instruction. Mine took 30-35 minutes.
• Roughly chop frozen chocnut pieces then gently fold it into the ice cream mixture. You can now eat the ice cream at this stage, but if you prefer a firm ice cream freeze for at least 6 hours.
Viola! A fusion of two dessert favorites in a few easy steps. It may take a while for you to enjoy your Chocnut ice cream though but it will definitely be worth it.
Follow Angsarap.net on Pinterest for more interesting food ideas. (By: Angel Ong)