Saturday 25 November
Powered by Ajaxy
Aug 8, 2016 @ 6:03

Clearing operation in Manila destroys veggies worth P9M

Around 400,000 kilograms of vegetables including cabbage and carrots had to be destroyed when shipments intended for markets in Metro Manila were obstructed last week due to a clearing operation in Divisoria, Inquirer reported.

Divisoria has been the main wholesale market in Manila for Benguet farmers. The destroyed vegetables signified 60 percent of the day’s deliveries which were eventually left unsold since truckers carrying the commodities were barred from crossing Claro M. Recto Avenue, the road that leads to Divisoria, Augusta Balanoy said, head of the Benguet Farmers’ Marketing Cooperative.

She said that farmers and traders lost as much as P9 million due to the transport issue.

Balanoy also added that the Manila City government had not informed the truckers beforehand about the slated clearing operation on that day.

“We learned about it when vegetable buyers texted their suppliers that Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada had informed them that they would no longer be allowed to buy vegetables at Recto,” she told Inquirer.

“Some of our buyers have reduced their orders because of the City Hall directive,” Gil Ganado said, the head of the Benguet Truckers’ and Drivers’ Association.



 

Trending News

Recommended on sister sites

Copyright © 2017 Food Evolution - foodevolution.com.ph. TechCellar.com