Here’s how to make Spicy Potato Ikan Bilis
Looking for a new dish to prepare? Here’s a quick and easy recipe for Spicy Potato Ikan Bilis, using easy to find ingredients.
Ikan bilis is another term for anchovies in Southeast Asian regions, mainly used in Malaysia. While anchovies are popularly prepared as paste, or bangoong in the Philippines, anchovies are usually prepared as side dishes in other countries. Here’s 30-minute quick Asian recipe you can reinvent at home, courtesy of Asian Food Channel:
What you need to prepare:
• 250 grams of peeled potato
• 50 grams anchovies rinsed lightly
• 120 grams sliced onion
• 20 pieces of thinly sliced green bird eye chilli
• 2 thinly sliced tomato
• 3 tablespoons soya sauce
• 1 teaspoon sugar
Step by step guide:
1. Slice the potato horizontally into half and slice them finely in equal thickness. Soak the sliced potatoes in water and leave for15 minutes.
2. Heat your pan brushed with oil in preparation for frying.
3. For the first round, fry the potato to ¾ cooked and drain the oil.
4. For browning of potato, bring the temperature of the oil higher and double fry the potato for a quick 30 seconds. Set aside and drain the oil.
5. Reduce the temperature of the oil and fry the anchovies until it’s crispy.
6. Place the excess oil and leave just enough to fry the bird eye chilli until it releases its flavor.
7. Add the onion and fry for a minute until it becomes translucent.
8. Add the sliced tomato & fry until it releases the juice (about 3-4 minutes).
9. Add soya sauce and leave for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add potato and sugar and give it a stir. Remove from griddle.
11. Lastly add the crispy anchovies and mix them well.