Saturday 17 February
Powered by Ajaxy
Feb 3, 2018 @ 15:48

Fisheries production falls in 2017

Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) said that in 2017, the total volume of fisheries production went down by 1.04 percent compared to the previous year’s level.

Output reductions were noted in commercial (6.89 percent) and municipal (1.05 percent) fisheries while aquaculture performed better by 1.68 percent.

Of the major species, roundscad and tiger prawn indicated production shortfall by 11.89 and 6.29 percent, respectively. However, more milkfish, tilapia, seaweed, skipjack, yellowfin tuna were produced during the period.

The volume of commercial fisheries production reached to almost 947 thousand metric tons. It diminished by 6.89 percent from its level a year ago.

“Less unloading of species was reported in Navotas Fish Port which was brought about by frequent rainfall and numerous weather disturbances that prevailed in the country from May to September, Also, limited fishing operations in Zamboanga Peninsula due to the existing inventory of canned sardines during the third quarter,” PSA said.

Commercial fisheries comprised 21.97 percent of the total fisheries production.
Municipal fisheries production, on the other hand, declined by 1.05 percent and came up with 1.13 million metric tons during the year.

About 85.45 percent of the volume was credited to unloadings in municipal fish landing centers and the remaining 14.55 percent was contributed by inland fisheries subsector. In Western Visayas, lesser catch was due to less fishing trips and efforts attributed to weather disturbances that brought strong winds and rough seas during the fourth quarter.

Encroachment of commercial fishing boats in municipal waters also affected the first quarter output. About 26.12 percent of the total fisheries was contributed by municipal fisheries subsector.



 

Trending News

Recommended on sister sites

Copyright © 2018 Food Evolution – Latest News for Food Lovers - Latest News on Celebrities, Politikos and Businessmen that loves food!. TechCellar.com