Rotting fruit causes panic in a Melbourne University
Hundreds of students and teachers were evacuated by Victoria Police after a suspected gas leak in Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) university, which turned out to be a rotting durian left on a cupboard.
Complete with breathing apparatus, the firefighters investigated where the leak could be coming from as the building is known to store potentially dangerous chemicals.
After a through survey of the place, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade have identified that the gas leak wasn’t that of chemicals but pungent gas coming from a rotting durian.
A Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) spokesman confirmed in a statement that the scent of the rotting fruit went through the air-conditioning system, The Herald Sun reported.
The fruit has already been banned in various hotels, subways and airlines around the world. Popular for its natural pungent smell, durian need not be rotten to offend the senses. The waste will be dealt with by Environment Protection Authority officers.
Three hours after the initial report, the MFB has given the building an ‘all clear’ and was reopened by 6pm.