UN says there’s a strong need to response to Ebola outbreak in Congo
United Nations health experts conducted an emergency meeting to discuss the Ebola outbreak in north-west Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) where cases of the deadly disease have been confirmed in an urban area.
UN said the outbreak does not yet meet the criteria to be deemed a “public health emergency of international concern” but there is a “strong need” to respond to it.
The World Health Organization (WHO) Emergency Committee particularly advised the Congolese Government and all other actors to remain engaged in a “vigorous response” and called on the international community to support efforts on the ground.
“Without this, the situation is likely to deteriorate significantly,” read the Public Health Advice issued by the Committee, which also called for global solidarity among the scientific community and for international data to be shared freely and regularly.
An outbreak of the Ebola virus disease (EVD) was declared in a remote town in DRC’s Equateur province on May 8.
Since then at least one case has been confirmed outside the initial zone.
On 17 May, a patient in the provincial capital, Mbandaka, was confirmed as having contracted the disease.
According to WHO, 45 cases have already been reported, of which 14 had been confirmed, 10 were “suspected” and 21 “probable.”
The Emergency Committee decided that if the outbreak “expands significantly, or if there is international spread,” it will reconvene to take further action.